Monday, February 9, 2009

my sour dough bread kick

I've been making sour dough bread this winter. yes, i'm almost 46 years old and this is the first time i've ever messed around with it. hard to believe, eh? well, it's true. i love to eat sour dough bread, but have always been somewhat intimidated by it, thinking it was time consuming or too much to fuss with. well nothing beats fresh bread and when my friend lorene gave me some starter AND a book, i decided to give it a try. i'm still a beginner at making sourdough, but the family has enjoyed being my guinea pigs. my starter is maturing now. i want to start a new batch of sour dough starter, also called a "sponge" when i can open the windows this spring. the interesting thing about a true sour dough is that the yeast is "wild caught". i know that many loaves of bread where baked in this house over the past 160 years, so yeast is probably lurking all over the place here. kinda cool thing to think about...free-range yeast or wild caught yeast. i'll blog more about it as my starter matures.

1 comment:

Chiot's Run said...

I love sourdough as well. If you head over to Wildyeastblog.com she has a recipe for sourdough english muffins that are a huge hit at our house.

I have a starter I grew a long time ago, it lives in the back of my fridge and every month or so it comes out to play.